Crafts and activities that we have done with our children on the Lord’s Days can be found on this site: http://cmworkshop.nl/
This section offers some workshop ideas to serving saints. Workshops can be organised in blocks to make planning and implementation easier. There is a planning example of how this can be organised.
- Gardening – preparing, making and caring for food producing gardens
- Meeting place maintenance – Weeding/grounds cleaning, house cleaning (to develop a sense of belonging and responsibility)
- Team building games/activities (character development)
- Outdoor/indoor activities/games/sport/board games
- Do you know? (Interesting facts/knowledge – may include demonstrations/illustrations/media etc)
- Inspirational books – e.g. read through a chapter or so each session and discuss (such as Bruchko by Bruce Olson, Heroes of the Faith series)
- Useful learning – e.g., healthy eating, looking after ourselves, etc.
- Art and/or Craft
- Music – learn an instrument
- Learn a language (e.g. Chinese/Korean/French)
- Technology projects
- Photography – snapping God’s creation (smart phones, ipads and devices, cameras)
- Themes: For example, Working together/Helping others, etc.
- Life skills
|Workshop activity||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
|Weeks 1-3 Modelling (related to lesson theme)||Make clay animals. Choose your favourite animal. Mould it out of clay (step through a process – body, legs, head shape etc – look at pictures) Leave to dry. Paint and varnish. Children could make several over the three weeks. Display in meeting room.||Make a huge paper mache Earth Add some mountain peaks/ranges (Google where the biggest ones are). Paint in land masses and sea (Look at maps/pictures from space). Varnish. Hang from ceiling.||Make a papier mache solar system to scale Use balloons where appropriate to start – Flour and water glue and newspaper. Finish with paint appropriate for each planet and varnish. Attach to ceiling. A section of the Sun could be cut from cloth and attached to corner of a room to keep scale.|
|Weeks 4-6 Thinking and team building Games||Team building games – combination of working in levels and whole group activities.http://www.elementarymatters.com/2013/05/team-building-activities.html|
Science and technology Work in own levels – science concepts and technology according to level.
Different kites to suit various levels (Google Kite making)
Science: Forces on kites – aerodynamics
Science: concepts about thrust and drag.
L1&2 Effervescent Canister rockets http://sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts/Rockets/Teaching-and-Learning-Approaches/Film-canister-rockets
L3 Water bottle rockets http://sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts/Rockets/Teaching-and-Learning-Approaches/Water-bottle-rockets [Rocket launchers can be purchased from Jaycar for about $45 – or they can be made]
Science: Concepts about electricity, such as circuits and the movement of electrons. Propellers – thrust and drag.